As we move into fall, Arbor Doctor is converting to a more organically based plant health care program.
We have always worked with organically based fertilizers and have utilized approaches which are in harmony with natural systems. However, we are now beginning the implementation of an organic program which will minimize the use of insecticides and other pesticides.
In researching organic approaches, one thing becomes clear. The organic movement has not answered all the questions. At some point, diseases will overtake certain plants and some insects, such as Emerald Ash Borer, cannot be suppressed with organic treatments. Therefore, Arbor Doctor will continue to utilize a hybrid approach of organics supplemented by some synthetic products.
For those who prefer a true all organic program, something not offered by other providers, this will now be avalable. Let us know you prefer all organic and we will do that. In some cases plant pests and diseases may not be as well controlled. On the other hand, whether you opt for all organic or not, the new approach will put a greater emphasis on applications which increase cell wall thicknesses and plant vigor while reducing or eliminating the use of pesticides.
You will still see us applying materials with each visit. The organic program includes the application of organic nutrients with each visit. Your landscape plants will benefit from treatments that provide a diverse blend of beneficial microbes (fungi, bacteria), vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, including the following:
- Microbes: Ectomycorrhizae, Endomycorrhizae, Bacillus thuringensis, various Rhizobium, Actinomycetes, Aspergillus, and Yeast extracts
- Natural Plant Extracts: Including essential plant oils (Cedar Oil, Neem Oil, Citrus Oils) Garlic, Hot Pepper.
- Elements: Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Boron, Manganese, Zinc, Carbon, Iron, Copper, Iodine, Molybdenum, Cobalt, Selenium, Sulfer
- Humic Acids, including Fulvic Acid: These allow minerals to be absorbed and moved throughout the plant much more efficiently, to where-ever they are needed most. Great for helping to correct nutrient deficiencies.
- Seaweed: By supplying sugars and cytokinins for rapid microbial growth, nutrients are made available to relieve plant stress.
In addition to deep-root feeding, our seasonal foliar sprays provide for the nutritional demands of each growth cycle, while boosting the plants’ natural defenses against disease, insects and weather stress. As opposed to pesticide controls, these foliar sprays enhance, rather than weaken the soil’s biological life (while not posing health hazards to humans, animals and the environment).
Our thanks go to ISA Certified Arborist Bernie Carr, owner of Organic Air Tree and Shrub Care in Norwalk, Ohio, for his help in developing this approach. Tell your northern Ohio friends about him!